Beer Prices Around The World Compared: The Cheapest, Most Expensive And Most Popular Beer Brands

David Adelman
David Adelman
Follow me for more news:
14 Comments

thumbI drink beer to supplement my bones with vitamin D and prevent bone degeneration. Saying that makes me feel I’m making a healthy lifestyle choice every time I pop a bottle. I could be, at least according to the International Journal of Endocrinology that had published a study on the health promise of beer (you can also check our previous infographic that matched beer against wine for health benefits).

But here’s the better news—beer can be dirt cheap in some corners of the planet. If you’re traveling and you enjoy a couple bottles of beer (and some more) after a day’s tour, the infographic created by our designers will help you find the country where you can get really cheap “vitamin D shots”.

It doesn’t matter if you’re going to Central/Eastern Europe or Southeast Asia; both regions can get you drunk really cheap. Vietnam and Ukraine are the hands-down winners with beer at fifty nine cents per bottle. Other beer-friendly countries include: Cambodia, Czech Republic, China, Serbia, and Panama.

On the other hand, if you’re a heavy drinker, better avoid the Middle East. Not because alcohol is officially banned in many countries there (you can drink in designated places), but they have the priciest beers in the world. In Iran one beer is equivalent to 13 bottles in Ukraine!

The infographic also calculated which countries pay most and least for beer every year based on consumption and beer price. If you drink much you pay much, right? Germans are the third heaviest beer drinkers in the world. As expected they’re one of the biggest spenders, too, shelling out $235 per year on the alcohol. Incidentally, if you find yourself in this country and thirsting for original brew, go check the Weltenburg Abbey in Bavaria, the oldest operating brewery today. In our recent article we listed some more of these interesting facts about beer (and wine).

But just southeast of Germany, things are different in Romania. Talk about enjoying both worlds–Romanians are one of the heaviest beer drinkers; they’re also one of the least spenders on the alcohol. But we encourage you to drink moderately… and pay moderately, too.

CHECK OUT THE INFOGRAPHIC AND ENJOY EVEN MORE UNIQUE BEER FACTS:

Price of Beer Infographic

Embed This Image On Your Site (copy code below):

Raw data that we used:

Submitted by
Follow me for more news:
David Adelman

David Adelman is a deputy business and finance editor at FinancesOnline.com covering personal finance issues, providing all sorts of learning guides and product reviews. David leads coverage on various social media news and has years of experience reporting on startups and marketing trends for such publications as The New Yorker and Business Insider.

Category: Comparisons, Featured Articles, Ideas Worth Spreading, Infographics

14 Comments »

• Doreen Pendgracs says:

Very interesting infographic. I should do the same with respect to chocolate!

• Justinian Fray says:

Let me deduce the reasons for the places with priciest beers. The country has a high standard of living cost (Singapore and Norway). The country is Islamic and beer is banned; hence, the black market price (Arab countries). The country is so out of the way so supply chain is expensive or ROI is thin (Papua New Guinea, Afghanistan). I just didn’t get Australia. Because it’s so down under?

• What is “number of beer bottles consumed per person” meant to mean? Because somewhere like the Czech Republic isn’t drinking its beer from 12oz (US) beer bottles, it’s drinking the beer on draught. Is this meant to actually be “amount of beer drink if it were all in 355ml US-sized beer bottles”? If so, why not say so.

And what does “cost of 0.5 litre bottle of domestic beer” mean in relation to Iran, Kuwait and the UAE, where there IS no “domestic” beer, what with them being Islamic countries – indeed, Kuwait and Iran are legally dry, and even in the UAE alcohol is severely restricted.

Oh, and Romania is not “just southeast of Germany”, it’s 800 miles from Berlin to Bucharest and there are four other countries in the way. I know that’s only the same distance as from the bottom corner of Texas to the top, but to us yooropeans, it’s a long way.

Nice idea for an infographic, but falls short on the execution and too US-oriented.

• markas says:

Actually, more people in Czech republic, and most of eastern europe, aren’t drinking “on tap”… they’re hoisting half liter glass bottles, and very often, one or two liter plastic bottles – even premium beer comes in plastic.

Also, no matter what route you take, it’s always two countries in between Germany and Romania.

• Bobbo says:

Why is Austria not on the list? Austria has some excellent tasty beer and its dirt cheap. For example, Egger is only 49 Eurocents for 500ml. And the Austrians are great beer drinkers. Did someone have the mistaken idea that Austria is part of Germany?

• JaegerLecoultre says:

I guess the “beer” in Middle East countries meant non-alcoholic. But why would you lump non-alcoholic with real beer? Well, since you’re talking about travel, can it be that when you ask for beer in Saudi Arabia for instance they serve you the non-alcoholic type? That’s the only explanation I can see. But thanks for the heads-up on prices. I’ll probably head off to Romania.

• Damon says:

Snow Beer is not really the best-selling worldwide. It’s got the top sales but mostly concentrated in China and HK. You hardly see it anywhere. “Worldwide” in its strictest terms should mean popular. I give the top prize to Tsingtao, which got a light and a little not-so clean film on the palate, but it’s still better than Bud.

• Sunrise250 says:

The local Stella in Egypt is the most satisfying beer for me. (Probably the dry heat.)

• Jeff Anderson says:

When travelling in Bavaria and Austria 2012, I found beer prices in the small rural towns to be very cheap for their local brews. For example, in Bodenmais NE Bavaria a six pack of 0.5L local beer was 4 Euros. In a grocery store in Weidach, Austria two 0.5L cans of local beer was 1 Euro.

• sagi says:

You missed the second most expensive country for beer in terms of tax: Israel.
    Roughly $1.25 per liter before (18%) VAT.

• Timo says:

Just great! Good piece of ingormation with a tasty layout. But please double check the locations of the European countries in the “most spent” map…

• Weizen says:

Not sure I get this: According to the charts, Germans drink the most, but spend the least. I would bet that they are very high on the “cheapest beer” list near Ukraine & Vietnam, not to mention the high VAT.

• SonYzeN says:

I can confirm the prices, among a few other things, in Singapore kept me ( single English teacher guy that enjoys drinking with music socially, travelling alone on a budget ) from wanting to apply for a work visa there but I think they secretly inflate the prices to keep from poisoning the various cultures that surround the area as in Muslim or Buddhists and even Hindu while also having little space there to produce beer so that leaves it to importing it. The Australians have been oppressing the Aboriginals for years now, as many care less about moving into a so called modern society that promotes capitalism far more than democracy, so I think they price alcohol so high to keep them from it as most are bush livers without jobs and either way that also prevented me from wanting to stay in Queensland.

Where is Hong Kong in this list by comparison ????? My travels to Macau, China compliment the information on this site because the costs there were splendid, outside of housing, surprisingly with no visible homeless drunks anywhere in the city. A little confused the way Spain never made mention because you can buy a PLASTIC generic bottle beer available throughout the country for some twenty seven cents on the Euro monetary system, but I think I only saw about ten people during my entire six months in Barcelona that drank in an irresponsible fashion and that was outside a rave because in general many are below middle income while trying to pretend to be cosmopolitan to care so much about it.

I can only assume the Phillipines and South Africa would be dirt cheap because both got a low cost of living but I got no idea. What about Brazil or the Rastafarians needing something to wash down their weed in Jamaica ???????

Leave a comment!

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

You can use these tags: